Phone: (803) 484-5341
The Register of Deeds Office is located in the Clerk of Court offices and is a recording and public service office. The primary function of this office is to record, maintain, and preserve all land records for the County and make them readily available for viewing by the public. The documents recorded include deeds, mortgages, easements, satisfactions, powers of attorney, liens, plats and real property transactions. The Register of Deeds Office also registers appointments of notary.
The staff of the Register of Deeds office cannot perform title/record searches for the public, but are happy to assist by showing you where the books and plat records are and explaining how to use them to find the information you need.
The Register of Deeds Does:
- File, index and record deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, uniform commercial codes, mechanic's liens and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real property.
- Collect state mandated recording fees on all documents. See fee schedule below.
- Assist the general public in obtaining copies of deeds, mortgages, plats, .tax liens, uniform commercial codes or other recorded documents at the rate of $0.50 per page.
- Provide certified true copies of recorded documents at the rate of $1.00 per document plus copy charge.Offer onsite information and instructions on how to use computers, copy machines, record books and microfilm.Give very limited information over telephone.
- Provide access to other county offices via networked computers (use with limited office assistance).
- Provides South Carolina Archives a microfilmed duplicate of all records for security as required by law.
The Register of Deeds Does Not:
- Perform title searches or extensive record or lien searches.
- Give legal advice, refer or make legal recommendations of any kind.
- Prepare deeds or execute legal documents. (Witness or notarize documents)
- Report information to credit bureaus or other agencies.
- Check taxes, Clerk of Court records, delinquent taxes, Probate Court records or any other office's records in county.